|Southwest Holiday Cottages||
is a town in South Cornwall and is very popular with tourists
and it is
also a fishing port.. It is
also conveniently close to those who wish to also visit Polperro
village which is near. Years ago the Cornish spoke rthe
language and the Cornish name for Looe is Logh. At
of Sir Francis Drake at the time of Queen Elizabeth the First the
Cornish language was widely spoken so as regards language it may have caused problems for people in Looe
dealing with many of those in Plymouth.|
It is a bit muddling because there is East Looe and West Looe. You are quite near here to the famous village of Polperro. Looe Island is near and it is also called St Georges island. It is thought that Looe had people living there from approximately 1000 BC which may be indicated for example by the stone circle at bin down which comes from the Cornish name for hill fort.
William the Conqueror of Norman times who defeated King Harold in 1066 had part of East Looe as his demesne and of course the Doomsday Book had a reference to at least part of Looe. In approxiumately 1170 AD a charter was granted to East Looe.
Looe Island was used by a monastic order before 1150 AD and they built a Chapel on it. There was a Church in East Looe dedicated in 1259 by the Bishop Of Exteter. The Old Guild Hall may date from approximately the early sixteenth century.
There was a bridge over Looe River by the early fifteenth century. Looe became one of the largest ports in Cornwall and in the Calais siege in France in 1347 it provided approximately 20 ships and at that time the kings of England claimed substantial areas of France as belonging to the English kings.
As time went by there grew up much trade with Newfoundland in the Americas.
Looe benefited from the Liskeard and Looe Union Canal and the mining of copper. East Looe Quay was built in 1856.
Being near to the city of Plymouth has been a great boost to its tourist business although being near a city has its disadvantages as well as its advantages.