|Padstow town and fishing port is near
to Newquay and St
Austell. The Cornish name for Padstow is Lannwedhenek.
Padstows original name was Petroc Stowe which was got from
the name of St Petroc who in approximately 500 AD came to
Trebetherick. Many places in Cornwall are named after Saints
often prefixed with the name St. A monastery was
founded and became important but the Vikings may have attacked the
town in approximately 981 AD and it
might be because of this attack that the monks moved to nearby Bodmin.
One name foir Padstow in the Medieval times was Aldestowe
which meant "old Place".|
St Petroc church may have been one of three founded by St
Petroc. The church is mostly from the 13 th and 14 th centuyry A D and
there is a pulpit from approximately 1530 AD
There used to be trade with Canada in the nineteenth century.
Rock is near Padstow as is Bodmin Moor and
Staustrell and Newquay.
Like Newquay, Padstow is a trourist spot and holds
knowm "obby oss" festival which may derive from the celtic
festival of Beltane. The festival starts with a song at Midnight
outside an Inn and there is a maypole. These maypoles used to
be very popular years ago.